The Most Common Meditation Tools
The Most Common Meditation Tools
One of the most commonly used meditation tools out there are mantras. Mantras are so commonly used around the world because they are free of cost and they are effective. They are also multi-purpose since they can be customized to whatever needs or goals you have.
Mantras are most commonly used by persons who practice Transcendental Meditation. Mantras are basically a repetition of a sound, word, sentence, or affirmation. The mantra becomes the object of focus for the person practicing meditation. The mantra can be spoken out loud or repeated silently in our minds.
Mantras are very efficient for quieting the chatter of our minds. In some meditation techniques, the ultimate goal is to become 100% focused on the mantra. In this way, the person becomes one with the object of the meditation; the mantra.
On this vein, according to Maharishi Yogi, the founder of Transcendental Meditation (“TM”), “TM means directing your attention inside at increasingly subtle levels of concentration until the thinking is surpassed and the mind reaches the source of thinking.”
In other meditation techniques, many people think of mantras as having a healing effect. They believe that mantras can heal through the specific vibrating energy that each word generates. This is very similar to music. Think of how you feel after listening to an upbeat song versus a soft melodic piece of music. Big difference, huh?
You can use mantras that have been derived from yoga and meditation. Or, you can create your own mantra yourself. The universal and most commonly known mantra is “aum.” Aum is the sound through which the universe was created. So, it is the most commonly used mantra and symbolizes all vibrations, mantras, and sounds together.
However, you can create a mantra just like a positive affirmation, for the need or goal that you are looking to achieve.
When creating your own mantra, choose one as short as possible. The mantra should have only one or two syllables at most. After some time meditating, you can lengthen your mantra to be a few words or even a sentence. This is more like a positive affirmation as used in psychology. Remember, however, the most important when choosing a longer mantra is to time it in the present.
For example, I love myself, I am loved, I am beautiful, I am healthy versus I want to be loved, I want to be beautiful, etc. Speak your mantra as already having occurred and you living it in the present, this way you will bring it to you and achieve your goal.
If you are new to meditation, make sure to get the Free 5 Day Meditation Course to start meditating today!
Do you use mantras? Did you make it up yourself? How did you choose it?
| Thanks for visiting! Make sure to check out En Route! The No Fuss Road Map to Driving Your Life in a New Direction and our recommended Spiritual Resources and get a free binaural beats sample!
Meditation led me to my life path as an Integrated Executive Life Coach. I now help others gain more clarity on their passions, reach their goals, and overcome obstacles through my book and one on one telephone coaching. If you'd like to work with me, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you found this interesting, here are some similar post below. You can also use the dropdown menu menu and search bar at the top of the website or look through our sitemap
- 4 Activities that are Not Meditation 4 Activities that are Not Meditation Learn to Meditate Meditation is an activity that you do quietly and introspectively. Because of this, a lot of people confuse meditation for other activities. Some of these people...
- Most Common Uses of Pictures of Meditation Why use Pictures of Meditation? Pictures of Meditation Meditation is a focusing practice that suspends the normal stream of thoughts occupying the mind. Meditation deals with contacting something within usthat is peaceful, calm, rejuvenating, and...
- The Most Common Question About Transcendental Meditation The most commonly asked question about Transcendental Meditation (TM) is: Is it a religion? People ask themselves; Do I have to be Buddhist to practice TM? Does it oppose or conflict with the values or...
- The Most Common Type of Meditation Art Most Common Types of Meditation Art Meditation Art Meditation is one of the new revolutions in today’s thinking. The practice of meditation has to do with changing not only the thoughts that you think, but...
- The Most Common Types of Meditation Programs The Most Common Types of Meditation Programs Meditation Programs Around the World If you are looking for meditation programs, you are in luck. There are tons of meditation programs in the United States. Meditation programs...